Monday 13 June 2016

SPOTLIGHT: Jewellery Collection Part 2 (Ring Storage)...

Who doesn't love long weekends hey? Nothing I enjoy more than three whole days to sort out my various bits and pieces. Rising at 4:30am on weekdays, I HAVE to be organised, and as far as fashion and accessories are concerned, I find colour categorisation works best for me. Whether it's my clothing, shoes, scarves, jewellery, makeup OR even my umbrellas, I group them all according to hues, and that's my secret for co-ordinating my outfits. Each day I choose a colour theme - I work out what I'm wearing the night before (my brain doesn't function till my second morning latte lol) and lay it all out in readiness for a quick pull-together in the wee hours. Storage is another challenge, and I go with practicality rather than glamour, so you won't see any fancy trinket boxes or expensive acrylic solutions in this series - what's inside the modest containers I choose is pretty and fun, and that's enough for me. Plus the less I spend on exxy boxes and ritzy ditzy display stands, the more I have for the bargain bling I'm so passionate about ...


So this is my current collection of finger adornments, all safely stored away from dust, and sorted into the colours of the rainbow, plus black, white, plain silver and gold. I should add that this isn't necessarily my long-term solution, but it will do for the time being, plus it's reasonably portable if I need to shift things around in my room. I bought these acrylic 3-tier swivel boxes from Target last year for around $10 each. I lined them with some non-slip bubbly plastic shelf liner which I picked up at a Hot Dollar store for less than $5. To make the inserts the right size, I used the base of the unit as a template, drew around it with a pen, and then cut inside the line and snipped out a piece to fit either side of the spindle. In hindsight, a more rubbery or sticky kind of material would have worked better to cushion the pieces, but I chose what I did because it was transparent...


As mentioned in last week's post, there's no diamonds, rubies, sapphires or gold in this lot - the robbers cleaned me out long ago! Actually my "gold" collection changes every few months or so because the finish wears off, and I just toss them out when they start to look scruffy. As you can see I have quite a few rings made of acrylic & enamel - they're probably the most practical of all because they're virtually indestructible lol. And if I find something that really suits, I have a tendency to buy several in different colour variations - I do that with shoes and clothing too. I guess it's a case of "if the shoe fits, wear it"...

So how do you store your bling?

Take care of you,
kats xxx

P.S. I'm linking to Ingrid's awesomely interesting Monday Makeup Madness Link Up Party 

28 comments:

  1. I wish my bling was this well stored! I leave my high rotation items out on my dressing table on a towel so they don't slide away and items I don't wear as often are stored in my cupboard in various jewellry boxes. Unfortunately this means I'm less likely to wear them as out if sight out of mind. That's why I love the idea of your transparent containers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ingrid I used to have just about all my jewellery hanging up on hooks and racks (and door knobs) and I had rings on those cute little ring stands because I DO love to see it all. But I live near the sea, and I found everything that I didn't wear all that often ended up with this kind of salty film on it, and when I went to wear it, I had to clean it! Now I have just about everything tucked away so it doesn't get all murky (you'll see later in the series) - I was so thrilled to find these little swivel thingies, solved the ring problem at least, and they don't take up much space ♥

      Delete
  2. Ohhhh!! I love your storage system, I don't have many rings but I've been looking for something for my rarely worn necklaces. I'd love to see your whole outfit one day!!

    Lily not Louise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's lots of choices these days Lily, although some of them are really quite expensive - but I try and think outside the square, i.e. I don't just look for jewellery containers. I have a nifty little set of acrylic makeup drawers that would be good for necklaces, although it wouldn't hold many - it was from Aldi for $12. It's full of sponges at the mo'(which I never use), but I'll take a pic and I'll include it one of the next articles xxx

      Delete
  3. My bling isn't stored anywhere as nicely as yours! It's in a jewellery box I NEVER reach for. Oh well. And why on earth do you have to get up at 4.30am you poor thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to store mine in jewellery boxes too Mel - the kind lined with red velvet where you lift the lid and the drawers at the front open out. All very swish, but they took up so much room on my dressing table I gave them to Vinnies. Space is my greatest enemy! As for the early mornings, I commute to work on weekdays - takes me at least an hour to get ready, and then 2 hours to get there and 2 hours to get home. It's killing me slowly, so I'm moving soon lol ♥

      Delete
  4. You are so well-organised! I have organisation envy lol. On a more serious note, I'm sorry to hear you were robbed. I hope the thieves got their comeuppance one way or the other x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to meet you Renu! I never used to be organised, but I can't survive (or make blogging time) unless everything is within easy reach. Sadly the robbers got away with the loot, but I believe in Karma, so it'll all balance out one day ha ha xxx

      Delete
  5. What a great selection! I wish I was so practical. I've got a whole stack of trinket boxes & separate stands or drawers. 4:30am EEK! I'm a night owl. I'm posting at 3am because I'm up late, not early, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sweetie - I still have some of my little boxes, they're too pretty to give away and some of them have sentimental value, but they just don't work for me any more. Hey I'm a night owl too - on weekends I rarely hit the hay before 1am. It's safe to say that the early mornings are currently my greatest challenge in life ♥x♥

      Delete
  6. I like the way you've grouped everything Kats! Appeals to my Virgo/organised self haha.

    I have a jewellery cabinet with a mirror attached on the outside and that's where I normally store everything; but because I'm not in my usual bedroom at the moment (and won't be for some time methinks *sigh*), I've got all my stuff in one of those pocketed jewellery holders that looks like a dress. They're grouped by what they are (i.e. rings, studs, dangly earrings) & what the finish is (i.e. gold or silver-looking). It's not perfect, but it works for me because I can see everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh Shell, well I have Virgo on my MC so my dressing table is just as organised as my work desk lol. And believe it or not I had one of those dress hanger things until recently, and used the side that had all the clear pockets rather than the velcro stips. But with my growing collection, stuff kept falling out or it got tangled, so that was another score for Vinnies. But it served me well for many many years ♥♥♥

      Delete
  7. I only have a handful of rings. I store them in a little jewelry box on my dresser. But, I do have a lot of necklaces on a tower. I hardly reach for jewelry these days for some reason... I've been dressing so simple lately, same with my makeup. Maybe I'm just getting bored or lazy. lol. I think your idea for storage is so clever! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At one stage I was using several of those mug stands - the ones with little arms sticking out in all directions. But some of my necklaces were too long, so a tower would have been good! BTW I don't think you're bored OR lazy Amy, you just have other priorities xxx

      Delete
  8. I love your storage container that's awesome. You have a good collection, I imagine always something to match any outfit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there Jackie - thanks for posting again with your name hon ♥ I'm actually a matchy matchy nutcase - I spend at least 15 minutes each night choosing all the bits that go together, but it gives me so much pleasure when I get it right, so I persist lol xxx

      Delete
  9. What a great idea!! I love your storage, i will be hunting for similar ones! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope your search is fruitful Barbe - if I see them back in stock or anywhere else, I'll let you know x♥x

      Delete
  10. Very impressive Kats! I love seeing your accessories for the day on Instagram and I inspire to be more put together with my jewellery like you! Great collection and get tips. Tal xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tal - I really appreciate your lovely feedback ♥ Left my phone at work yesterday with all my pics(!), but the Insta feed will be back to usual tomorrow xxx

      Delete
  11. Ooh I love how this is sorted and displayed . . . like lollies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol Beth, I guess you could call it finger candy! ♥x♥

      Delete
  12. Loving your ring storage Kats! I knew you must have quite an impressive jewellery collection. The transparent containers is a great idea as it makes them easy to find ♡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sweetie - I couldn't bear the thought of all these pretties being hidden away in boxes, they really brighten up my room, and yes I don't ever seem to have the problem of not being able to find what I'm looking for ♥♥♥

      Delete
  13. I store mine randomly, all over the house. It's like a pleasant surprise when I find something and a bigger score if it actually matches something else I've recently found. LOL. I can't believe I'm an adult. You are so organised! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh Di I'd never EVER get to work unless I could put my mitts on what I want in seconds. I doubt my boss would accept my excuse though lol ♥♥♥

      Delete
  14. I love these storage containers and it's a lovely display for all your lovely jewelry. I'm so bad at storing mine. It's all in one box. My good jewelry is in their original box. Sad to hear you've had some stolen :-( you have a lovely collection now x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Louise my dear, so long as you know where everything is and it's protected from dust and damage, I reckon it's all good - I had to do something with mine as it's taking over my room lol xxx

      Delete