Sunday 28 June 2020

REVIEW: Sarah Jessica Parker SJP EDP...

As mentioned in a previous post, my collection has expanded (oops!) through various avenues, but I bought Sarah Jessica Parker's Stash myself, and without testing it first. I was actually after the 30ml bottle from Chemist Warehouse as it was only $9.99 (only a few dollars more than a roller-ball, which is how I normally test fragrances) and the reviews were amazing, but my local store was out of stock of that size, so I bit the bullet and took a chance on the 100ml for $29.99 which was all they had on the shelf. Well, as it turned out, fate was guiding me to yet another blissful aromatic experience - it was love at first spritz, and if I'd only been able to get hold of the 30ml, I would have raced back to get my hands on the bigger size anyway. Oh boy, this is a beauty, and for that price, it's my bargain blind-buy of the year! ...

SJP Stash bottle on a gold mesh mat surrounded by a sparkly black choker

My fave scents for the cooler weather are warm spicy orientals, and this one hits the mark - a bullseye in fact. It's vastly different from the other SJP scents I have, and I'm delighted that she has included a winner from this genre in her lineup.  It was released in 2016 but I obviously missed it - still I'm making up for lost time by spraying this every other day, it's that good ...

SJP Stash bottle, box and drawstring bag

The presentation is a delight. A glossy black box with the name embossed on a diagonal strip that's been made to appear like a fabric label. At first, I thought the box was damaged (it was sealed in cellophane), but it turns out that the attention to detail is astonishing - the edges of the "label" have been made to look slightly frayed, like it really is made of fabric! Inside the box, the bottle is encased in the cutest black grosgrain bag with the name in sparkly gold, and an equally sparkly gold drawstring. The bottle itself is quite simple and solid, with the same diagonal black label (Johnny Walker?) and around the neck is a leathery cord with a little gold "SJP" button attached. I can't believe it was only $30! ...

SJP Stash bottle and drawstring bag

The fragrance is pretty close to being a masterpiece - leaning towards a masculine style, it's aromatic, woody, earthy, leathery and spicy, and the colour of dark rum. One of the most distinctive and standout fragrances I've come across from the celebrity world, this is an absolute gem. Lasts for hours and hours (let's say around 8). I spray it on before bed and I'm still floating on its heavenly cloud the next morning, and yet it isn't what I would call intrusive. The drydown is just as sassy and magnetic as the initial spray, but it mellows into something even more stunning, something that should cost a helluva lot more. There's only one fruit ingredient - grapefruit, but to my nose it's more like fig, which gives it a slight gourmand character. The rest is spice-heaven - black pepper, cedar, ginger lily, pistachio, olibanum (frankincense), vetiver, massoia wood (slightly coconutty) and musk. I'm totally besotted ...

SJP Stash bottle, box and drawstring bag

Some folks have labelled this "bohemian" or "too hippy for the office" but I beg to differ. It's sensual and a tad provocative, but not enough for me to NOT wear it to work. I'd wear it anywhere, anytime, but probably limit it (if I can) to the cooler weather. Adore! ...

 Have you tried Stash yet? Are spicy orientals your fragrance thing?

Take care of you, and keep safe,
kats xxx

6 comments:

  1. No....but now I want to check it out for myself. Im trying so very hard to use up some of my older perfumes before I open new ones or buy more. Its not working...im so addicted to perfume :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I have exactly the same problem Fawn - quite proud of myself as I finished 2 bottles last month (they'll be in my Empties post) but for every 2 I finish I've already bought 3 or 4 more. Oh well, glad I'm not alone in my passion or my dilemma ♥♥♥

      Delete
  2. I just love your perfume descriptions! This sounds like a perfume I would enjoy, I need to try it! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you darling Indie! I'm pretty sure you would love this - it's almost something I'd classify as a niche fragrance. Now that I've worn it heaps of times I've noticed that on some days it doesn't last as long as others - might be something to do with the weather, but it's gorgeous all the same ♥♥♥

      Delete
  3. I will have to try this after reading your review. I bought Born Lovely couple of months ago , I absolutely love it .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must Raluca! Vastly different from Born Lovely, which I also love (I reviewed it here: https://katscolourings.blogspot.com/2019/11/review-sarah-jessica-parker-born-lovely.html)

      Delete