Sunday 28 October 2018

REVIEW: Sarah Jessica Parker - Lovely EDP...

If you're in Sydney you'll probably agree that Spring has taken her time to get started. I hadn't quite begun to despair that the chill wasn't ever going to release its grip, but I was sure getting to the point of wearying of that icy tinge in the air every morning. But I reckon we've finally turned the corner, and I even took the plunge on Friday night and packed away all my boots, beanies, gloves, woolly jumpers and scarves - it's not the most exciting way to start a weekend, but it sure felt good! To give Mother Nature a big hint, I'd already rearranged my fragrances a few weeks back so that the cold weather scents were safely ensconced in their dark little corner, and moved the florals, fruits, aquatics and crystallines to the forefront. I have a fairly extensive perfume collection, but like lipsticks, there's always room for one more, and I decided to celebrate the seasonal change by adding another little darling to the lineup - Sarah Jessica Parker Lovely EDP ...


Although this was SJP's first ever fragrance created way back in 2005, I admit I'd never sampled it, nor did I even before buying this 30ml bottle from Chemist Warehouse for $9.99. But, for that the crazy low price and the fact it's still on the market after 13 years, I figured I couldn't go too far wrong, and I was right lol! This is a precious little "lovely" in amongst a sea of often vanillary fruit celeb scents, and just what I had in mind to lead me out of the chill, and into the sunshine ...

The perfect size for my handbag, the bottle is beautifully curved, shaped almost like a drop of water, and it's the palest shell pink. The rounded cap is grooved, and there's a matching ribbed grey fabric ribbon around the base of the spray nozzle. Overall the look is pretty and feminine, and masterfully elegant considering how much it cost ...


The scent is a springtime delight - soft, subtle and light, so light I would categorise it as "barely there", so I doubt that folks who often experience headaches from a fragrance will have a problem with this sweetheart. The opening notes of soft citrus (mandarin & bergamot) and rosewood with a splash of lavender instantly captured my heart. (There's supposed to be apple martini as well but I couldn't pick up even a splash of that crispy fruit, although there is a hint of gin ha ha.) Still, the enchantment continues unabated as the (surprisingly delicate) patchouli, orchid and paperwhites (narcissus) wake up from their slumber and add another dimension to the elixir. And then as the minutes go by, delightful little wisps of cedar, white amber and musk begin to rise from the base to cradle the flowers and gently fading fruit - so, so beautiful ...


I would classify this as a delicate woody floriental, which in my perfume book makes it the perfect transition from winter to spring - the woodsy/musky components balance the flowers brilliantly and add a little mystery to what could have been a plain jane floral. In quite a few online reviews, some folks have griped that in recent years, the scent is nowhere near as potent as it was on first release, some going so far as to say that the market is riddled with fakes. I guess it's possible, but also possible is that the components or source and/or quality of the ingredients may have changed, as has been known to occur (but not admitted) with far more expensive perfumes from longstanding fragrance houses. But having never sampled the original, I have no cause for complaint - the scent I have is a delicate little treasure that lasts 3-4 hours, and I'm so happy to have FINALLY added SJP Lovely to my fragrance lineup ...

Have you tried this perfume? Any others from SJP you would recommend?...

Take care of you,
kats xxx

6 comments:

  1. I love this fragrance Kats. I'm glad you got to discover how good it is. I think it's perfect for spring too ;) Freaky xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Jen! If I think about how many perfumes I HAVEN'T tried yet, it blows my mind ha ha - what a pity we have only one nose ♥♥♥

      Delete
  2. I am yet to sniff this perfume, but it sounds perfect for Spring. Superb perfume review as always xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darling Indie, well I'm glad I'm not the only one who hadn't tried this fragrance! It really is quite lovely, and it's crazily affordable hey xxx

      Delete
  3. I think I tried this years ago and I didn’t like it but tastes change. 10 years ago I didn’t like smoked salmon, laksa, peas, lentils and the list goes on. The next time I’m in chemist warehouse I’ll have to remember to get a spritz of this and the Jennifer Anniston chapter one that you recommended a couple of blogs ago. I’m always in Priceline and not CWH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How true that tastes change Okatko - I can remember when I outright REFUSED to even sample any celebrity fragrances 'cos I was positive it would be a waste of time, and precious test space on my wrist. Now I try as many as I can!

      Delete