Sunday 31 July 2016

REVIEW: essence All About Roses Eyeshadow Palette...

Seems like forever since I reviewed an eyeshadow palette, and I picked up this ever so pretty essence All About Roses darling a few weeks back. Only just today got my swatching act together, so no EOTD's as yet, but you can be sure they're not far off (I have a phobia about using a palette before I photograph and swatch it). I just adore soft dusky pinks, and this palette is a gem as it has both mattes and shimmers, and even a couple of pans with sparkles ...

The beauty of essence products is that they're available in quite a few outlets here in Oz, and also in many countries around the globe. Believe me I feel for my international readers - nothing worse than falling in love with a palette via a blog review, and then finding out it'll cost you an arm and a leg for overseas shipping!...


Top row are all shimmers, pans two and four (top row) also have micro-glitter. I swatched them (on my arm this time) over a primer, and these are max three swipes each. I totally suck at swatching (which is why they're not single swipes) I can never seem to get the product in an even stripe. I probably need to make some templates on my arm using sticky tape. Anyways the texture is surprisingly creamy, dense and silky smooth -  I've been playing with them on the back of my hand, and they blend beautifully...


And here's the bottom row - all but the second pan are mattes, with quite impressive pigmentation for $8.20. With bargain priced mattes, I'm often find they're chalky or wishy-washy or so packed down that you can't pick up any powder with a brush, but these are all easily workable, and with quite good colour pay-off. ...


The case is solid and sturdy, the lid closes with a firm click, and I'm glad they didn't bother including a manky sponge applicator (which I always ditch anyway). Absolutely delighted I gave in to the temptation, and you can bet I'll be using this baby before the end of the week...

If you're wondering where I've been...with my darling Dad in hospital this past month, after work and week-end visits (Mama too) have meant limiting my blog posts to just a handful - but he's all good now and back home, and I hope to return to my usual blogging schedule for August, including some EOTD's plus my usual giveaway, so stay tuned lovelies ...

Take care of you,
kats xxx

P.S. Linking to Ingrid's Monday Makeup Madness Link Up Party - pop on over after 6:30am 

26 comments:

  1. I'm glad your Dad is out of hospital.

    That palette is so pretty, I have purchased a few of their blushes and found they don't always swatch well, this palette looks like a winner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks sweetie - he caught that ghastly gastro virus that was going around. Yea I find the same with essence - some pigments are brilliant while others leave a lot to be desired, these are somewhere in the middle xxx

      Delete
  2. So happy to hear your Dad is doing well.. that's all that matters!

    This looks like a nice little palette. I think I've seen it in store, but I thought it was all shimmer and glitter.. nice to know they put some mattes in there. I have to go check it out again. I did end up ordering the maybelline blushed nudes just because I received an Amazon gift card and I couldn't find anything budget friendly to buy and it had a lot of light colours in it. Have you tried that one?

    xo Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true Amy - it really flattened him, but he's coming good now and building up his strength again. I think he does more exercise than me!

      I haven't tried the MNY blushed nude palette - it does look lovely though, and I shall look forward to reading your review ♥♥♥

      Delete
  3. Essence are such great value for the extremely minimal price and the little touches they add like stamped palettes or engraved lipstick bullets give it that luxe edge without the price tag!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you Beth - some of their products are absolute stunners for the wee $$$. I always check out their stand when I'm in Priceline or Target xxx

      Delete
  4. This palette looks great quality for the small price tag. I'm vowing not to get anymore makeup (bar staples) for a while after the amount I spent in Melbs. Glad your Dad is OK! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol Di, your Melbourne haul was AHH-mazing and should keep you going for a while. Fortunately my Dad is a tough old nut - he gave the nurses merry hell though ha ha ♥x♥

      Delete
  5. I have never used Essence but the bottom row of shadows in this palette is calling my name! Thanks for awesome swatches and I am glad to hear everything is good with your Dad :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used the third matte in the bottom row today Marisa - worked well, mattes always seem to look better on my wrinkly eyes, but I do so love shimmers and sparkly ones too. This is a pretty good mix. My Dad will be so thrilled to read all these lovely comments - thanks hon xxx

      Delete
  6. I haven't tried the essence eye shadows as I just figured they were going to be bad quality. I'll have to check them out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alinta! They can be a bit hit and miss, but most stands have eye shadow testers, so you can give them a go before you buy. On the whole though most of them are pretty good, especially given how inexpensive they are ♥

      Delete
  7. sending my wishes to your dad!!

    This is a beautiful palette, I have stopped purchasing palettes because I can never ever finish one :( But the colours from your swatch is perfectly wearable!

    Lily not Louise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Lily - he'll be thrilled to know he's been thought of by you young lovelies ♥ I have to stop buying palettes too - I have some in my drawer I haven't even touched yet!

      Delete
  8. So sad to hear that your dad has been unwell and in hospital but glad he is now all better and home! I'm sure he and your mum appreciated your company and support during this stressful time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ingrid honey, thank you so much for your kind thoughts and words - my Mum is very resourceful and fiercely independent, but she sure was lonely. My parents haven't been separated for this long since the 60's!

      Delete
  9. Manky sponge applicator! Love the way you write, gorgeous! Glad to hear your dad's on the mend - sending good vibes to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blimey TP, I loathe those things - I used to hang onto them "just in case" but they always disintegrate after a few uses, so now they go into the old binaroony as soon as I take the pic. I really appreciate your warm wishes sweetie - will def pass them on xxx

      Delete
  10. Sending positive vibes to your dad, and the rest of your family. Hope all is well <3
    But wowza this palette is just stunning! The pigmentation is amazing! xx

    Jasmine / sweetaholic-beauty.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All going good now thanks darling Jas - awful AWFUL virus that knocked him for six. We had to wear masks and gowns and gloves when we went to visit him! The palette is pretty good - I wish the pinks were a bit pinker, but I've used them successfully several times already xxx

      Delete
  11. So happy your Dad is ok Kats! This palette looks lovely. I have Essence in my local drug store and have tried a few items of theirs. Some better than others. This one looks like a winner! Can't wait to see what Eye looks you come up with. Tal xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tal thank you! I'm planning on making up for last month very soon - can't believe I didn't post even one EOTD sigh. And I agree their products aren't all that consistent, but the good ones are terrific xxx

      Delete
  12. So glad to hear that your Dad is better now Kats. I am loving the shades in this palette, perfect for a stunning smokey eye look ♡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you hon - it's a great relief to my fam that he's improving by the day ♥ Aren't they pretty colours? Very tame for me, but I'm loving them all the same xxx

      Delete
  13. I'm glad your Dad is out of hospital. I can't wait to see some of the looks you create with this palette. The colours look so rich. I love the pink to red to burgundy shades on the eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks doll - he's doing really well now ♥ We like similar colours on eyes - looks coming soon xxx

      Delete