Sunday 12 January 2020

SPOTLIGHT: Aluminium-free Deodorants, Part 3...

Well now, what an interesting exercise this is turning out to be. Quite frankly I'm staggered at the uselessness of some of the aluminium-free deodorants I've been putting to the test, so much so that I wonder why they're even on the market. I guess it's just that everybody's needs are so different, and the ones I'm classifying as duds must actually perform ok for some folks. Anyways, let's get on with Part 3, which will essentially complete my supermarket coverage ...

Six aluminium-free deodorant bottles


Weleda 24h Roll-On Deodorant - Sea Buckthorn (50ml, Website, RRP $16.95)

Weleda 24h Roll-On Deodorant - Sea Buckthorn, cap off

After giving this a go on both a 20 degree and 30+ day, the results are pretty much the same. Maximum four hours of worry-free protection, and about 1 hour before the sticky-pits scenario sets in, and that's without any exercise or exertion. Today was the lower temp day - it's now 7pm, and while I'm not exactly tainting the environment, I'm keeping my arms close to my sides as my pits are sour. Disappointing as I love some of their other products, but it might be ok in winter. The orangey fragrance is pleasant, the bottle is 70% recycled plastic, and it's made in Switzerland. I'll give it a 6.5/10 ...


Earth Purities Natural Deodorant - Nero For Him (50ml,  Nourished Life, RRP $12.95)

Earth Purities Natural Deodorant - Nero For Him, cap off

I mentioned in one of my other posts that I often prefer deos targetted for males because of the woody or musky scents they have, but I also go for them because I figure that they'll be a tad more potent, given that fellas often need a bit more help in the underarm department. Well this one is a treat for citrus lovers as it's scented with bergamot and lemon, and it worked well for me for 12 hours on a very humid day - it didn't keep me all that dry but I can live with that. Vegan, not tested on animals, Aussie made and owned, the container is recyclable glass, and it has a "best before" sticker on the base (June 2021). 8/10 ...


Redwin Sensitive Skin Anti-perspirant Deodorant (150ml,  Supermarket, RRP $5)

Redwin Sensitive Skin Anti-perspirant Deodorant, cap off

As promised this is a pump spray and a generous one for the price. To me, it smells like a generic men's aftershave or cologne, so it might not appeal to some of you gals. On the other hand, I'm not sure if anyone would benefit from this - I needed to reapply it every two hours, and squirting it on while dressed is not my idea of practical, especially as I had to wait 5 minutes for the spray to dry enough to put my top back on. While I didn't feel the need to re-shower, I ended up slicking on one of my success stories after the third respray. Sorry, no - 2/10...


Simple Pure Deodorant - Aerosol (200ml, Supermarket, RRP $7)

Simple Pure Deodorant - Aerosol, cap off

This started out really well, and then sadly faded after four hours, just like the roll-on variety with the same name. Same deliciously fresh scent, I enjoyed the sensation of the cooling, dry almost powdery spray, and it was much easier to reapply, so I'm giving it one point extra over the roll-on. However, that still doesn't give it enough of an anti-BO oomph factor to pass my test - I'll use it up on my feet. 5/10 ...


Sukin Signature Natural Deodorant (125ml, Supermarket RRP $6.95)

Sukin Signature Natural Deodorant, no cap

Another one that was recommended by one of you gals (). Sukin is such a terrific brand, and this is the best of the pump sprays so far (it comes with a protective cap on the nozzle, but I can't find where I put it lol). A fairly confident 10 hours without having to reapply, I love the scent of this one - a mix of mandarin, lavender and vanilla. Doesn't do much for wetness but the formula does a great job of neutralising odour.  It's a close call as to whether I would wear it on a work-day as I do quite a bit of running around and attend a lot of meetings in very small rooms. I think I'll keep it for the cooler weather, and give it a 7.5 ... 


Norsca Anti-perspirant Deodorant - Rosewater & Lotus Scent (50ml, Supermarket, RRP $4.99)

Norsca Anti-perspirant Deodorant - Rosewater & Lotus Scent, cap off

Quite a pleasant fragrance, but I hit the stink wall after two hours.  Maybe in the next life - 1/10.


Overall it's looking like 8/10 is about my threshold for what I would wear to the office - I'm confident with anything rated that or above. Between 5 & 8 I'll keep for the chilly season or around the house, and if it's less than 5, I'm giving it to the garbos (once emptied wherever possible of course). I would say that apart from the Sukin one, I wouldn't bother with those from the supermarket - they just don't cut it performance-wise. Having said that, perhaps I'm an overly stinky sweaty gal and they may, in fact, work for you - as always, it's best to try for yourself, deodorant is even more personal than perfume ...

Unfortunately, my research will slow down from now on as I'm back at work next week, and will only be testing new discoveries on the weekends. But Part 4 is in the pipeline, and already there are a few winners to bring to light, so hope you'll be back for a read soon ...

And if you missed them, here is Part 1 & Part 2.

Take care of you,
kats xxx

8 comments:

  1. You really are amazing kats. All the products you get to put through their paces. I love reading your research.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks Fawn - mind you the up and down weather doesn't allow for any baseline controls, but I do try and give each product an opportunity to prove its worth ♥

      Delete
  2. I'm loving being on this journey with you Kats! I've gone back and re-read Parts 1 and 2 and can't wait to read Part 4 to see how my deodorant rates. For now, I've made a note of 2 from Nourished Life. Great research, pictures and writing style - you should write a book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm delighted your sharing this little adventure with me Kassalee - so far Nourished Life has been a terrific source of products that do in fact work, which makes my escapades a whole lot more fruitful. As for a book, gee I'd have to give up working full-time, and my beauty addictions won't allow that at this stage, but I so appreciate your confidence vote ♥

      Delete
  3. Can't wait for next sequel! These are the best articles and most useful I've seen online so far...non sponsored and non biased and really tested. Will refer to them next time buying my new deo! I only use Al free as well. Being also Capricorn, prefer same scents as you (more on masculine side and unisex in perfumery hehe)

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi CJ, aww thanks for your encouraging words - we all want to know what works hey! As for the Capricorn connection, I'm actually a Sagittarian but right on the cusp (just snuck in) - mind you I was 3 weeks early so I was meant to be a goat, but obviously wanted the best of both worlds ha ha ♥

      Delete
  4. I prefer roll on's to sprays especially the stick versions or the roll'ons that sit upside down so gravity forces the product down. Looking forward to reading part 4.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use the Sukin one during winter, but I'm looking for something else.

    ReplyDelete