Saturday 29 June 2019

The Transforming Power of Makeup (Part 3)

Way back in 2016 I posted PART 2 in which I showed how I transform my lips almost every day from woe to wow. Well not quite wow, but a whole heap better than they are naturally. Since then I've had heaps more practice so my technique has improved, and so have the available products, although I'm still using three of the six items that were in my original post. While you are probably (hopefully!) not dealing with the same issues I am, some of the hints below might be helpful, especially when applying darker colours which sure need extra attention to get them looking good ...

Before & After

Having had cold sores since puberty, my poor old lips have taken a beating, plus they've been freckled for as long as I can remember. Add to this the accelerated pigmentation issues that come with ageing, well they've sure seen better days. But no need to despair kats - makeup and a few little tricks can fix all that! And so here we go - beware though, some of these closeups are pretty gruesome ha ha ...

 So here are my bare lips (and complexion)...

Bare lips


I start the transformation with a face primer (current fave is DB Pore Minimising Primer) and then apply my foundation with an Ecotools Wonder Cover Complexion brush. My foundation for this post was a blend of IT Cosmetics Bye Bye Redness and Maybelline Dream Liquid Mousse in the shade Sandy Beige. I cover the entire outline of my lips, and immediately there's a major improvement lol...

lips after foundation application


Next up is concealer all around the outside of my lips to completely disguise the pigmentation. I use Tarte Shape Tape Contour Concealer in the shade Light Natural. It has a sponge does foot applicator, and it's the best concealer ever - total coverage, easy to blend and it doesn't crease...

Lips with concealer smeared on


Below is the result after I blend it with my middle finger...

Lips after concealer blended


Next up I reverse outline my lips with an NYX Wonder Pencil in the shade Light. I take the pencil way above my top lip to where I plan to draw on a new top lip, and a picture-worthy cupids bow. My top lip has always been way thinner than my bottom lip, but we'll fix that later...

Lips with concealer crayon applied


And here I've blended the crayon (again with my finger) and pressed on Australis HD Translucent Loose Setting Powder with a powder puff. This is a revamp of their Ready Set Go Finishing Powder - it's just as good, just has a wee bit of shimmer. As you can see this has camouflaged my enlarged pores and significantly reduced the appearance of the vertical lines above my top lip (this powder is a kats-can't-live-without)...

After pencil blended and powder applied


Now that I have my canvas prepared, it's time to start the artistry! Here I've used an OXX Lip Liner (from Kmart) in the shade Aria - it's the perfect match for the lipstick I'm going to add in a mo'. The application isn't perfect at this stage, but I don't let that worry me - everything is fixable, so long as I have the basic outline correct. Incidentally, if my lip liner isn't precisely the same colour as my lipstick, then I apply it all over my lips, but no need to here...

Lips outlined with lip liner


And below I've slicked on Maybelline Made For All Lipstick in my latest shade passion, Plum For Me. Again the application isn't perfect - trust me the camera shows up any and all flaws, so I recommend taking photos if you want to practice your technique, or when you desire the perfect lip for a special occasion...

Lips after lipstick application


So we've made it at last. I've used the above photo to point out the areas that need a tidy up (if you're wondering, I do this every time I take a photo for my Instagram LOTD's, which is almost every day). I've filled in the gaps on the left side of both lips using the lip liner, also the right side needed a bit of attention for symmetry, plus a cleanup on the skin with the flat end of a Swisspers Dual Cosmetic Tip dipped in concealer. I also used the pointy end (with concealer) to carefully tweak the cupids bow shape, and then applied another layer of lip liner and lipstick. Voila!...

Lips after cleanup

Here's what I used ...

Products Used

All this to say there's quite a bit of effort involved in getting my lips to look good, but the result is well worth it, and because I do it at least five days out of seven, it all happens in less than five minutes. By putting a lot of effort into my base preparation, I find I only need to reapply the liner and lipstick after eating. Just as well lol! ...

I was thinking about doing another face transformation post - any interest?

Take care of you,
kats xxx

14 comments:

  1. You certainly do a wonderful job Kats. Your lipstick photos are always so perfect.
    I really need to follow your tips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks Fawn - it's more out of necessity than anything else ha ha! ♥

      Delete
  2. Loved reading about this process Kats! I've never thought to do half these things lol. Amazing lip transformation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed it Di - the damage to my lips is quite extreme plus I'm ancient, but you never know what other folks are dealing with ♥

      Delete
  3. Sooo very helpful, I’m going to try it tomorrow! I’m sure you bust it it out quickly given the amount of lip swatches you have to do..... can’t wait to be able to wear those 2 Maybelline Made For All lippies in the bold colours as they are totally gorgeous shades! Another great post Kats xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Duality, thanks for giving me the push to create this post! I don't expect very many others to have all the issues that I do, but sometimes just one little tip can make a difference ♥

      Delete
  4. wow Kats. I wish I had time in the morning but who am I kidding. Get up an extra 5 minutes early or stay all snuggly and warm in bed. Hmmm. I would love to see a face transformation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha Okatko - I would LOVE to spend more time in bed, but my lips are so bad I really don't have a choice!

      Delete
  5. Incredible! Now, I just need to follow your steps...and get a steady hand 🖐🏼

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes MerryGoRound, drawing the outline can be a challenge until you get used to it - even with all the practice I've had, I still make mistakes, but thankfully cotton buds are miracle workers lol!

      Delete
  6. Great step-by-step, Kat! That's quite a transformation! If I can spare 5 minutes, I spend it on my eyes; if I'm running late, I do my lippy on the bus.

    Yes: I'm definitely interested in more face transformation posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Afterthought: it's been a while since you've done an EOTD post. (Hint, hint!)

      Delete
    2. Hi misfortune8 - thanks for your lovely feedback hon. Sadly my old eyes are now too saggy and baggy to be photographed, and I'm not gonna start fiddling with photoshop to make the pictures publishable lol. But if I eventually find my miracle eye cream, I'll do them again for sure xxx

      Delete
    3. Well, that's disappointing, but I've never been game to upload recognisable pics of myself online, so I do understand.

      Delete