Sunday 3 November 2013

Natures Gifts...

I'm often asked how do I come up with my colourful looks, or what inspires me to put certain hue combinations together. Well I have to say that Mother Nature is my main source of ideas - she knows what works and what doesn't, and she's been doing it brilliantly (and modestly) for thousands of years.

But there's another Mother who has inspired me all my life - my precious Mum who is, amongst many wonderful things, a very keen gardener. She has both a green thumb AND a heart of gold. She's been known to pluck a dying plant from a rubbish bin, care for it as only she can, and nurture it back to good health. Her garden is magnificent all year round, and the pleasure it gives her is also shared by her appreciative neighbours, who often oooh and ahhh as they stroll past. In past years, she has won numerous prizes in competitions run by the local Council, and although she no longer enters, her little piece of Eden is always a blue ribbon winner in my eyes.

Every time I visit my parents' home, I can't help but take photo after photo of the fruits of her labours. Below is but a small selection of what blossoms from her loving hands, and her partnership with nature :-)


 

  


 

 

   



 

 

  
 


   

Is there someone or something that inspires you to be creative?

Take care of you,
kats xxx

8 comments:

  1. Oh Kats what a beautiful garden your Mother has :)
    I can see why she has won so many awards, it looks magnificent. Not only are her flowers beautiful but so is your photgraphy! Well done :)
    My Nan is the gardener in our family. She is 92 and still works outside. I find her inspirational garden wise and once we have our own place I plan on having a HUGE garden, veggie patch and Citrus Orchard :)
    Your Mum is a brilliant gardener! And raised a gorgeous gal too xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gemma! Thanks so much for your loving words hon - my Mum will get a real thrill from your comments :-) And big hugs to your Nan - she sure sounds like a wonderfully inspiring lady, and I'm envious of your garden plans, hope they come true very soon. I'm so glad you like the photos - even with a basic phone camera, it's hard to NOT take good pics of these gorgeous blooms :-)

      Delete
  2. What beautiful pics, Kat. No wonder you are inspired by your talented Mother's garden :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you scent - I'll let her know that her garden is appreciated even more :-) Honestly, she produces such happy plants!

      Delete
  3. OHHHH This is just gorgeous - thanks so much for sharing. Love to your Mum (and Dad) No wonder you have such a wonderful gift with colourings (or should I say kolourings!!) The photos are droolworthy, Kats. A lovely lift to end my weekend on and give me inspiration into next week.

    My "adopted" 95 year old Nan gives me so much inspiration - my Mum's best friend who is a true gem and lets me know that there is still much of my darling Mum still here as our guardian angel. Mum's friend has a gorgeous garden too.

    With love to you and your Mum.
    Trish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forever the sweetheart, thanks Trish my dear, my parents will be reading this tomorrow :-) I'm so glad you have an adopted Nan to remind you that your precious Mama is always with you xxx

      Delete
  4. Awww what a beautiful post and what a beautiful garden, Kats!!! Inspirational! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol Miss J - thanks for your bright and bubbly comment hon, it's no wonder I love colours xxx

      Delete