Sunday 24 November 2013

EOTD: Smashbox Olive & Silver...

If you're wondering how I choose what colours to put together, my general rule is to pair similar undertones - warm with warm, cool with cool. For example, if I'm going with an olive green, I'll often combine it with a gold, bronze, or orangey shade. Similarly, if I choose a cool blue, then I'll enhance it with a silver or tealy green.



Consequently this was an interesting experiment - just for a change I thought I'd try a warm green with a cool silver from my Smashbox Click You're It palette. This is a terrific box of colours by the way - the shades are all grouped into columns of what-goes-with-what, which makes it super easy if you're not sure which to choose. In the pic below, you can see that #5, #10, #15 & #20 are the ideal partners, so I was kinda pushing the boundaries to combine #15 & #3. But then again, I'm a firm believer that some makeup rules are made to be broken, if for nothing else other than to determine if they're valid or not ha ha!


I also had a hunch that this particular combo might just be ok because my eyes are a cool green colour, and I kept the silver close to the lashline

 


My verdict? I reckon the warm/cool rule is a pretty valid one - I think I scraped through with a "pass" on this particular combination, probably because of my cool tealy eyes. But I think this particular green will totally come alive when I combine it with shade #10, and I'll do that in the next few weeks for comparison.


Would love to hear your thoughts on this look though :-) Do you follow traditional makeup rules/guidelines, or do you make up your own?

Take care of you,
kats xxx

10 comments:

  1. Hehe I'm a bit of a rule breaker. 10 years ago I used to use an actual pencil...not cosmetic, I'm talking a pencil I nicked from art class... to line my bottom lash line with. It was a gorgeous lilac with silver glitter. I can still remember it. I sharpened it until it could no longer be used. So I was 16 when I did that and nobody else did that at my school or anywhere I saw! It was always black liner that people used so I looked outside the square and went for colour LOL
    Does that count as breaking a rule? Maybe back then.
    Rules are meant to be broken...the world would be boring if we didn't. And look at the beautiful combo you've created here. I love the olive green! Your bottom lash line has me green with envy!!! And green and silver always work well :)
    It's kinda christmasy too :) Love it Kats xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh Gemma, you sound like an innovator or a trail-blazer as well as a rule-breaker - I bet you started the trend for coloured liners! Thank goodness you did, I'd be lost (and bored silly) without them. So glad you like this look hon - big kiss XXXXXXXXXXX

      Delete
  2. I love this and it is so refreshing to have you "pushing the boundaries." It will be really interesting to see the effect when you do pair the ones that "should" go together. Great work, as usual.
    Love,
    Trish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks my darling - the wonderful thing is that the possibilities are ENDLESS, so I won't be running out of combos in a hurry ♥

      Delete
  3. Looks gorgeous, Kat! I tend to bend the rules, sometimes those looks don't see the light of day, but some turn out better than expected. It is so fun to play!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boy do you ever hon - I'm in awe of some of the colours you put together, and it sure is fun. I create quite a few duds too, but every now and then there's a beauty that makes up for the misses :-)

      Delete
  4. I'm definitely a rule breaker, just do what looks good! I really like this look, I think it would look amazing with darker eyes! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great news Jas - us rebels gotta stick together ha ha. I agree about the darker eyes with these colours - hope to see your pretty peepers dressed up in this combo one day hon :-)

      Delete
  5. I do like this combo Kats, although I think you are right in that it looks good with your teal eyes. I too usually combine olive with gold/bronze hues but it is fun trying something new.

    I am a rule breaker and still remember how pleasantly surprised my teacher was when she saw one of my paintings in grade 5 where I combined purple with bright green (still have the picture!). I also have loved pink and orange together as well as red and purple.... love colour and couldn't live without it in my life plus good friends like you who share a passion for beauty with me.

    Roxymisha x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a lovely comment roxy thanks so much - sounds like you developed your individuality at a very young age, good on you! Would love to see the paining one day :-) And I feel the same - without colour I'd be a basket case, and it's so wonderful to know we have a multi-hued bond hon xxx

      Delete